Pravongviengkham, Phouang Parisak Dr.
Deputy Minister, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
The Lao People’s Democratic Republic
- 1976 – 1982: Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Agronomy at the University of Godollo, Hungary.
- 1995 – 1998: Doctorate in Technical Science at the School of Environment Resources and Development at the Asian Institute of Technology of Bangkok, Thailand.
- 1982-1989 : Deputy Director, National Animal Feed Research Centre, and Head of the Technical Advisory Board of the Livestock and Fisheries Department, Vientiane, Lao PDR
- 1989-1996 : Deputy Director General, Livestock and Fisheries Department, and Advisor on Agriculture Policies to the Minister for Agriculture and Forestry, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Vientiane, Lao PDR
- 1996-2004 : Deputy Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF), Vientiane, Lao PDR
- 2004-2007 : Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Vientiane, Lao PDR
- 2007 Higher Diploma of Politics and Public Administration Academy from the President of the National Academy of Politics and Administration.
- 2007– 2011 : Director General, Department of Planning, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Vientiane, Lao PDR
- 2011 to date : Deputy Minister, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Vientiane, Lao PDR
Responsibility and outstanding achievements:
- Oversee and supervise all agencies under the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry with regard to policy, strategic affairs, overall supervision strategic planning/implementation and evaluation, international cooperation and foreign direct investment, finance, rural development and information technology.
- Took lead in shaping the development policies and strategies of the agriculture, forestry and rural development sector since 1988. Important policies papers are: (1) the Livestock and Fisheries Development Policy and strategy (MAF, 1994); (2) the Agriculture and Upland Development Strategy (MAF, 1999) and associated Master Plan (MAF, 2000); the National Growth and Poverty Eradication Strategy (NGPES, CPC 2003); the National Forestry Strategy 2020 (MAF, 2005); Documents on Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Development Policies and Strategies for the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8thFive Year Plans (2001-2005, 2006-2010, 2011-2015 and 2016 - 2020) and vision to 2030.
- Took lead in developing decentralized rural development strategies, approaches, mechanism and procedures, in developing the National Agriculture and Forestry Decentralized Extension System, in developing the National Biodiversity Strategy and Program, in developing the National Environmental Management Strategy and Program.
- Chairperson of Sector Working group on Agriculture and Rural Development which is the forum to promote policy dialogue between Development Partners (DPs) and Government.
- Took part ASEAN policies, strategies and associated programs in the sector of food, agriculture, forestry and fisheries.
- Gold & Silver Medal of Meritorious Labor of the Government of Lao PDR in recognition of an active role and contribution to the Social and Economic Development of the Country.
Prizes and Acknowledgements:
- Gold & Silver Medal of Meritorious Awards for an active supervises and strengthens the sector in Agriculture and Rural Development.
- Bronze medal for taking lead in fostering strong economic relations and cooperation with the Vietnamese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
- National silver medal for contribution to negotiation on the accession to the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- Medal of the Lao Front for National Construction awards for the 60th anniversary of the founding of the Lao People’s Revolutionary Party.
- Bronze medal of Lao Trade Union awards for valuable contributions to the development of Lao Trade Union movement.
- Annual certificates of recognition from the Lao Government for outstanding contribution to the development of the agriculture and forestry sector (since 1988, one per year).
- 2006 Asian Institute of Technology Alumni Association (AITAA) distinguished alumni award for Public Sector and International Affairs in recognition of service to the region through outstanding professional and technical achievements to the AITAA and Asian Institute of Technology (AIT).